1. Multi-Disciplinary Cancer Team: Being a dedicated cancer hospital, they have all types of specialists required to treat complex cancers. The hospital itself is led by senior oncologist (Dr. BS Srinath) with over 35 years of experience. They have hired many super-specialists for organ-specific cancer care (e.g. head and neck onco specialist, gyane onco specialist, Urology specialists etc.). These types of super-specialists are being regarded as a better option globally because they focus on treating a specific organ cancer and build deep expertise in that cancer.
2. Advanced Cancer Infrastructure: The hospital has invested in advanced high-end medical equipment needed to treat cancer. For breast cancer specifically, they have invested in a high-end digital mammography machine that is better than tradition mammography at detecting cancers early and is safer than regular mammography. This type of infra is available only in a few centers in Bangalore.
3. High-Volume Cancer Centre: The patient loads are very high at the centre. They serve hundred of cases every month. Currently, they are facing high demand with average wait time of 34 patients for beds. The hospital is adding another 200 beds which would be ready by 2021. However, being a high volume hospital, their team has experience in treating wide range of complex cases.
4. Supportive Care Teams: In addition to medical specialists, they have all supportive case staff that is needed for cancer care. Especially for pain management, they have a specialists in palliative medicine who is dedicated to pain mgmt. This is globally considered a very important element of cancer care. They also have special patient support groups for cancer patients and caregivers. These are held monthly (SAHELI for breast cancer, AATHMIYA for gynae cancers, MAJILI for gastro and uro cancers, BLAKU for therapeutics and SAHANA for caregivers specially). They also conduct yoga classes for cancer patients on hospital premises.
5. Affordable Care: Among most comprehensive cancer hospitals in Bangalore, Shankara is regarded as one of the most affordable hospitals. They are a non-profit hospital and provide donor options for financing cancer treatment and also have tie ups with organisations such as Indian Cancer Society that funds treatment for needy patients.